There are movies for drama lovers and movies for sci-fi lovers, but what about hackers. Are there movies for them as well? Yes. The entertainment industry has something in store for all. For hackers, there have been Best Hacking Movies since the 1990s and some of them are must to watch even today.
- Best Hacking Movies : Must Watch
- Blackhat (2015)
- 2. Algorithm (2014)
- 3. Cybergeddon (2012)
- 4. Untraceable (2008)
- 5. The Italian Job (2003)
- 6. Takedown (2000) – Best Hacking Movies
- 7. The Matrix (1999) – Must Watch
- 8. 10 Office Space (1999)
- 9. Hackers (1995)
- 10. War Games (1983)
- 11. Disclosure (1994)
- 12. Tron (1982) – Best Hacking Movies
- 13. The Net (1995)
- 14. Swordfish (2001)
- 15. Who Am I – (2014)
Best Hacking Movies : Must Watch
Here are 15 hacking movies must to watch:
The movie starring Chris Hemsworth is about a gang of hackers who get indulge into a high-level cybercrime. The hackers in the movie break into the Chinese nuclear power plant to start a nuclear reaction.
The same group of hackers also hacks into the stock exchange and snip away millions of dollars from the bank.
- Director: Michael Mann
- Writer: Morgan Davis Foehl
- Stars: Chris Hemsworth, Viola Davis, Wei Tang
Don’t Miss :
2. Algorithm (2014)
The movie is about a freelance hacker who mysteriously discovers government computer and get onto a mischievous task of hacking and gathering information.This is also another one of Best Hacking Movies.
The hacker also downloads recent programs developed by the top-secret government. This movie is based on the story of the capture of computer hacker “Kevin Mitnick“.
- Director: Jon Schiefer (as Jonathan Schiefer)
- Writer: Jon Schiefer (as Jonathan Schiefer)
- Stars: Raphael Barker, Keith Barletta, Julie Ceballos
Cybergeddon is a movie as well as a TV series with its plot based on the concept of computer hacking. This hacking film was released in 2012. The film is about hackers who break into computers with the motive to rob money from the financial institutions.
In the same movie, a cybercrime has also been hyped. With police officers shown incapable of controlling the cybercrime and activities of hackers.
- Director: Anthony E. Zuiker
- Stars: Missy Peregrym, Elias Edraki, Kick Gurry
The movie Untraceable is not exactly a movie about hackers but of cybercrime. In the movie, we are introduced with a serial killer who posts the videos of their victim on online on a website KillWithMe.com.This is one of Best Hacking Movies among all.
- Director: Gregory Hoblit
- Writers: Robert Fyvolent, Mark Brinker
- Stars: Diane Lane, Colin Hanks, Joseph Cross
The Italian Job is a remake of the 1969 film that had the similar name and was known as the best hacker movies.
The story of the Italian Job revolves around a hacker with a focus on catching a group of online thieves on the spree of stealing and manipulation traffic signals for planned grand theft.
- Director: F. Gary Gray
- Writers: Troy Kennedy-Martin, Donna Powers
- Stars: Donald Sutherland, Mark Wahlberg, Edward Norton
6. Takedown (2000) – Best Hacking Movies
Takedown is one of the most admired hacking movies. The story of the movie is based on a famous US based computer hacker named Kevin David Mitnick.
The plot of the movie is based on the book written by his competitor, Tsutomu Shimomura. In the movie, we have introduced with Mitnick a hacker of the 1980s and ’90s who is imprisoned for a few years before becoming one of the highly paid IT security consultant, a speaker, and a writer.
- Director: Joe Chappelle
- Writers: Tsutomu Shimomura, John Markoff
- Stars: Skeet Ulrich, Russell Wong, Angela Featherstone
7. The Matrix (1999) – Must Watch
One of the Best Hacking Movies that have received an award for its graphic animation. The Matrix is one of the biggest sci-fi movies of the 20th century.
The movie is based on a belief in the future that would be superficial. In the movie, we are introduced with a computer hacker who discovers his real true and takes up a battle against its creator.
- Directors: Lana Wachowski, Lilly Wachowski
- Writers: Lilly Wachowski, Lana Wachowski
- Stars: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss
The 10 Office Space (1999) is one of the best corporate movies. It is a comedy story about how to disgruntle employee turns against their boss through computer hacking.
- Director: Mike Judge
- Writers: Mike Judge
- Stars: Ron Livingston, Jennifer Aniston, David Herman
The Hackers (1995) movie is a cult classic and Best Hacking Movies in terms of technology used in presenting the entire story. The plot of the movie can be best correlated with the cyber crimes and hacking taking place today – in the age of Facebook and Twitter.
The movie narrates the story of two young computer geeks who turn into hackers at the age of 11.
- Director: Iain Softley
- Writer: Rafael Moreu
- Stars: Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee Miller
10. War Games (1983)
The War Games (1983) is yet another one of the Best Hacking Movies to watch. The movie depicts the story of young school students and a hacker.
The lead actor of the movie accidentally falls into wrongful hacking and breaks into a military supercomputer which lays the foundation to World War III.
- Director: John Badham
- Writer: Lawrence Lasker, Walter Parkes, Walon Green
- Stars: David Lightman
The Disclosure (1994) movie is a thriller that narrates a story of hacking and how it changes the life of people affected by it.
In the movie, we are introduced with a brilliant computer scientist who gets passed over for a promotion, which goes to a love interest from his past.
- Director: Barry Levinson
- Writer: Michael Crichton, Paul Attanasio
- Stars: Demi Moore, Michael Douglas, Donald Sutherland, Caroline Goodall.
12. Tron (1982) – Best Hacking Movies
The movie is about a hacker who is transported into the digital universe of “The Grid” controlled by a villain.
The hacker is required to survive combat as a cyber-gladiator to free him from this vicious control. The plot of the movie has received great applause from its audience and critics. Tron is an unusual classic that every computer user should watch at least once.
- Director: Steven Lisberger
- Writer: Steven Lisberger
- Stars: Jeff Bridges, Bruce Boxleitner, Cindy Morgan, David Warner
13. The Net (1995)
The movie is about a female software engineer who loses her identity to some digital hackers. The movie although was a hit in the 1990s, one mat still like to watch it for Sandra Bullock.
- Director: Irwin Winkler
- Writer: John Brancato, Michael Ferris
- Stars: Sandra Bullock, Jeremy Northam, Dennis Miller
14. Swordfish (2001)
The Swordfish (2001) movie is about a retired hacker who has come out from a prison after spending long years there. He now works in an oil field and is approached by criminal minds to do last hacking job for them It is an interesting movie to watch.
- Director: Dominic Sena
- Writer: Skip Woods
- Stars: Halle Berry, John Travolta, Hugh Jackman, Don Cheadle
Another Best Hacking Movies is about a young German computer geek who is approached by a group of hackers willing to make their name in the world with their mischievous hacking.
- Director: Baran bo Odar
- Writer: Baran bo Odar
- Stars: Tom Schilling, Elyas M’Barek, Hannah Herzsprung
So, these are 15 Best Hacking Movies that every hacker should watch.